About us

ActOne Cinema: pre-movie short film from Claudia Mateus Soler on Vimeo.




ActOne Cinema is a new community cinema for Acton, with a 74 seat auditorium fully equipped with the latest digital cinema technology.


The film programme brings you the latest quality independent films, world cinema, documentaries, film festivals and film-maker events, and the occasional quality blockbuster.


The eventual aim is to build a second screen, in the meantime this space will act as a gallery and performance space, the rest of the ground floor has a new bar and cafe run by the wonderful Bears Ice Cream Company and a relaxing lounge area with free Wi-Fi.


The ground floor is fully accessible with a ramp at the front of the building, there is a wheelchair space in the auditorium and new toilets that are fully accessible. The whole community is welcome, please come by and say hello and look around!



History


Acton has been without a cinema since the closure of the Acton Screen in 1989, with film fans having to travel to Park Royal or Ealing to see movies on the big screen.


With this in mind a group of local residents have actively campaigned to return the Old Library building on the High Street to community use, specifically to operate as a cinema. This has been made possible by a successful fund raising campaign supported by the Mayor of London’s Spacehive fund.


The Library at Acton was opened 120 years ago by the American Ambassador Joseph Choate. The building was designed by Maurice Adams FRIBA, and was partly funded by a grant of £4,000 from the philanthropist J Passmore Edwards.


The total cost of the building was £6,690, and was provided with some 8,000 volumes of wholesome literature. The large number of industrial premises in the area required the library to have a technical section, which in the 1950's and 1960's had the reputation of being the best in West London.


The Grade II listed building is situated opposite the former Acton Town Hall and near Acton Central Station. The red-brick property has an ornate façade fronting Acton High Street (A4020). It consists of two storeys with part third storey. It is part of a set of historic civic buildings including the Town Hall, swimming baths and Magistrates’ Court, which is sometimes known as the Redbrick Quarter because of their distinctive appearance. It was gifted to the people of Acton in 1900 by Passmore Edwards.


Despite its iconic appearance, its status as an Asset of Community Value, its history and its central location, it has not been of any benefit to the community since it closed in 2014…. until now!

Menu